Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Regional Differences

I am very amused at the hubbub surrounding this weekend's Civil War event back home in Southern California. The forecast of rain was threatening to have the weekend canceled and pushed back to a later date, causing much commotion among the local reenacting community.

A year or so ago, I would have agreed with staying home. But I've now been to multiple events in the pouring rain or near-freezing conditions here in Michigan/Canada. And not only did I survive, but I had a pretty darned good time! Even more amazing than the reenactors who are completely un-phased by getting a little wet are the scores (yes, scores!) of public who are willing to drive out and pay to walk around in the rain and cold to see an event.

I guess rain and cold are just something that Southern Californians are not used to! I'm certainly not! It's been an adventure learning how to cope with real weather and I wouldn't flatter myself to think I'm fully adjusted. But with good friends to hang out/commiserate with, the storm can be weathered. And it's kinda fun to wear period outerwear and furs! Soldiers didn't get to go home because it rained (although, granted, they set up winter camp in the winter!).


2 comments:

Sarah W said...

If we would cancel events if the weather was bad here, one third of them would never happen... I guess one learns to cope with the weather - here in Sweden we have a saying, which translated means "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" ("det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder")... Personally, I like to have a weather challange now and again, makes everything seem more real.

Samantha said...

I think that saying is fantastic, and so true, Sarah! Thank you for sharing it! We just had our first snow, and I am very excited.